Friday, July 6, 2007

Organics in Hong Kong?

"One of the most popular questions I received on my recent trip to Seattle was, "Can you buy organic foods in Hong Kong?" I was not surprised by this because as the mother of a toddler, it had been a focus for me when we first arrived in Asia. In the world of organic, Erik and I mostly focus on meat and dairy, versus fruit or vegetables, so this is where I started. Knowing that a global definition of "organic" likely did not exist, I had to determine what was most important to me. I decided I would be satisfied if I could find meat [and dairy] that was reared [produced] without the use of antibiotics and growth hormones.

Western groceries here are proud to offer American meat and offer large signs boasting the latest cuts imported from the US. As it turns out, they all offer a small selection of US organic meats. For a small fortune, I am always able to purchase chicken breasts and ground beef."


Read the article