Friday, September 21, 2007

Interest in Kosher Organic Chicken Grows

"THE refusal of organic-food certification bodies to recognise kosher poultry faces a new challenge from the man running Anglo-Jewry’s biggest kosher abattoir.

Stephen Grossman, who took over the helm of Lewco-Pak in Bedfordshire earlier this year, has begun talks with one of a number of organisations that certify products as organic, though he was unwilling to reveal which one.

Mr Grossman told the JC this week: “This is at a very early stage. It is a complicated process and I want to investigate it thoroughly. I do not know if I will be successful, so I would rather not say yet to whom I am talking.

“I started this because a friend asked why they could not buy kosher organic chicken. I am a member of the British Poultry Council, so I began by asking their advice and I have gone forward from there."


Read the article