Sunday, April 15, 2007

Candy Everywhere!

I was at the supermarket yesterday, and I noticed organic lolipops in the bulk section. I also noticed some organic jelly beans and gummy type snacks at the check-out area. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to buy anything, but I did look up the companies when I got home.

First I came across Yummy Earth, a candy company started by two fathers who wanted to treat their children with something wholesome.

Yummy Earth says:
"Sergio Bicas, father of then-four-month-old Rose, was feeding lunch to
Rob Wunder’s then-one-year-old Jonah while they talked about organic
treats they wish were available. Both longtime lollipop fans and
longtime friends through their college roommate wives, they began
dreaming out loud about inventing organic lollipops to share with their
babies as they got older. The lollipops would be really yummy and have
no chemical colors, artificial flavors, pesticides or other junk."

Flavors include pomegranate pucker, cheeky lemon, wet-face watermelon, mango tango and sour apple tart. They also have a line of hard candy with all of the same flavors.

The organic jelly beans and gummy worms I found are manufactured by Santa Cruz Nutritionals under the name Surf Sweets.

Santa Cruz Nutritionals says:
"Fat Free. Non GMO. Natural Colors and Flavors. Gluten Free.
Let Surf Sweets drench you with fresh fruit flavor. Our candy is crafted from natural ingredients without artificial flavors and colors. Reward your good taste and respect the earth by choosing organic. Try any of our delicious varieties and you'll be convinced - snack time is a perfect time to Catch a Wave of Flavor!!"

They offer gummy bears, fruity bears, gummy swirls, and jelly beans in a variety of flavors.

The organic candy market seems to be growing. It is appealing to me mainly because I have an enormous sweet tooth, and I hate having to eat nonorganic candy (sorry, I am such an organic snob I almost can't stand myself.)

Anyway, if you would like to learn more about these products, I suggest checking out this review of Surf Sweets and this review of Yummy Earth candy drops.