Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Life of a Fruitarian

"When Joe Bernstein meets friends for a dinner out, he knows ahead of time that there will be nothing on the menu for him to eat.

"They do accommodate me, though," he says. "I just ask for a dish of sliced avocado."

You could say Bernstein is mad about fruit. He is a fruitarian, or frugivore, and he adheres to a lifestyle that is a niche within a subset of vegetarianism. Bernstein, who lives in New York City, eats only raw fruit, a diet that includes some nuts and non-sweet fruit like avocado and tomato. A typical day's meals may include sunflower seeds with a few servings of fruit, such as pears or plums, for breakfast; a coconut shake with bananas for lunch; and Brazil nuts with tomatoes and avocado for dinner.

"I'm not too elaborate in the kitchen," Bernstein says. "I usually just eat whole pieces of fruit to keep it simple."


I think I could easily become a fruitarian, but I would worry about getting all of the necessary nutrients like protein. You can read more about the life of a fruitarian at Robert Dyckman's blog.