Tuesday, July 1, 2008

About Gusto Organics: The First 100% Organic Restaurant

"I sprinkle my cereal with organically farmed blueberries, the spinach in my salad is nothing but organic, and the only meat that passes through my lips is antibiotic and hormone-free (yup, organic). I can proudly state that my fridge is often stocked with the makings of at least two divine repasts that are free from chemically treated ingredients, but yet the question always lingers: What happens when I dine out?

If I lived deep in the country, miles away from civilization, dining out wouldn’t even be an option, but I live in New York City, where apartments are small, kitchens are smaller and counter space is a perk reserved for the rich and famous (OK … or the very lucky). A few nights of cooking must be balanced with a few nights out, and if I could have it my way, those nights would be memorable and organic.

Until recently, it wasn’t difficult to find a restaurant that featured a handful of organic ingredients, but a menu that boasted 100 percent organic ingredients simply didn’t exist. (Really, it didn’t exist.) Then January 9, 2008, rolled around and marked a day in dining history — when Gusto Organics, the first USDA-approved, 100 percent organic restaurant opened its doors."


Read the article